For Palm Sunday and Easter, I preached a two-part message about what to do when "God disappoints" or "when he fails to show up like you expected."
Nothing could describe Holy Week (pre-resurrection) for the disciples, friends, and family of Jesus more than disappointment and unmet expectations.
- They were expecting a physical kingdom and instead got a spiritual kingdom
- They were expecting a throne and instead got a cross
- They were expecting to rule in power and instead were humbled by death
- They were expecting a king with military force and instead got a king on a donkey
On the road to Emmaus (Luke 24), two disciples are slowly and disappointedly walking away from Jerusalem after the death of Jesus. They are dejected. They are confused. They are more than likely scared. Nothing played out like they had hoped or expected.
Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, a man who was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people, and how our chief priests and rulers delivered him up to be condemned to death, and crucified him. But we had hoped that he was the one to redeem Israel. Luke 24:19-21
Here's what we experience in our faith journey on the road to Emmaus:
- Disillusionment: a disappointment from discovering something is not as good as you thought it would be
- Deconstruction: a deconstruction of a faith that no longer works or makes sense in light of what you are experiencing
- Disappointment: a realization that life rarely goes according to your plan
Here's what we discover on our road to Emmaus:
- Because of circumstances, all of us will walk down our own personal road to Emmaus in our life (Luke 24:13-14).
- Jesus will walk with us down our road to Emmaus and draw near to us, whether we recognize him or not (Luke 24:15)
- On the road to Emmaus, Jesus confronts the lies we have believed (Luke 24:25-27)
- When we see him, we learn to build our understanding of life upon the gospel (Luke 24:30-32).
- That maybe the only way we get back to Jerusalem is through Emmaus (Luke 24:33-35)
When your dreams are shattered. When God doesn't show up like you want. When pain and despair send you into a tailspin. When other Christians wound and betray you. When your 5-year plan comes to an abrupt halt. When you face the unexpected and the unfair - YOU FIND OUT THAT JESUS IS STILL WALKING ALONGSIDE YOU ON THE ROAD TO EMMAUS AND LEADING YOU INTO A GREATER DISCOVERY OF THE GOSPEL.
- Unexpected Kingdom: When God Disappoints - Palm Sunday message
- The Road to Emmaus - Easter Sunday message